Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Long Road to Humira

My doctor left choosing the biologic up to me which meant it was up to my insurance company. Brilliant. I have a long and sordid history with my insurance company and knew from the start that this wasn't going to go well.

I made the first call. The woman I spoke with put me on hold for 10 or 15 minutes. When she got back to me she told me that injectibles are not covered. Period. Sorry. I took a deep breath and got a copy of my insurance policy from HR. Then I spoke with our insurance person in the office. She made some calls and nothing happened for a couple of weeks then, suddenly, I had a case worker calling me from the insurance company.

My case worker called to let me know that she is an RN and also has Crohn's Disease and she is stuck in bed with unbearable pain if she stops her meds for five days. Why am I off my meds for five weeks? Do I have any idea what could happen to me without medication? Then she went on to describe to me what a fistula is. She told me I needed to start my medication and worry about the insurance mess later. Seriously? This woman from the insurance company called to let me know how urgent it is that I begin treatment but offered nothing in the way of expediting the process? Also, she is an RN AND she has Crohn's Disease AND she works for an insurance company but she's never heard of Humira? Really? Finally, does she think I'm new to this and she's going to trick me? I know better than to pay for medical expenses without having some sort of clearance, especially when the medical expenses are close to $6000.

So I continued to call the insurance company and case worker every other day for a few more weeks until the insurance company decided that I tried all of the other medications available and they would make a "standard of care" exception. As usual, I would pay for the medication up front and the insurance company would (should) reimburse me 80%. Research indicated that Remicade would cost me about $6000 per treatment every 8 weeks. That's about $3000 per month. At $1600 per month the Cimzia and Humira were much cheaper. I decided on Humira because it has been on the market longer.

A week later I had found a pharmacy that was "in network" and ordered my Humira Crohn's starter kit. It was $5700.00. That meant I would pay $1140 out of pocket. Thankfully, Abott has an amazing assistance program for those who may need help paying for Humira. Those with Crohn's are eligible for up to $1000 savings on a starter kit and, I believe, $350 each month after that. My doctor's office sent over a patient assistance card from Humira and I began making calls.

I want to be clear, I have had an amazing experience with the people who answer the phone when you dial 1-800-4-humira. They are sweet and understanding and as helpful as can be. They all wanted to help me but a few of them just didn't understand the situation. After several calls, I finally spoke with a woman who got it. She told me that the pharmacy should ring up the Humira at full price ($5700) then run the card - it would look on the receipt like I paid with a gift card or something. Then I would pay the remaining $4700, send the receipt in to my insurance company and they would reimburse me 80% of the full price ($5700). This meant I would end up paying only $140 dollars out-of-pocket. Completely manageable. I was feeling so much better about all of this biologic stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment