Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Biologics Discussion

We went to Dr. C's office and he made me another list. He told me I could choose from Remicade, Humira or Cimzia and that he may prescribe Methotrexate along with whichever biologic I chose.

I asked how long it would be until I saw results. Dr. C said I could expect results in two to four weeks and, if I didn't see any results, I would discontinue use after three to four doses. If it did not work, it would take about six weeks to leave my system.

We all know these medications come with risks, especially the risk of infections. I learned that I would have TB, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, HIV, and HPV tests before I could be cleared for biologic treatment. My doctor also mentioned that there is a very slight risk of Lymphoma with these treatments (slight meaning about a dozen cases in hundreds of thousands of those being treated).

On the brighter side, the dr. told me that there are fewer side effects with biologics and I would take them much less frequently than the other medications I was taking at the time. Best of all, biologics usually work.

I left feeling hopeful but still really nervous.




No comments:

Post a Comment