Monday, September 14, 2009

Results

This is the report I received after my first colonoscopy in 2005.

The duodenal biopsies performed were completely normal; there was absolutely no evidence that you have or ever had giardiasis. There were no features of a malabsorptive illness such as gluten sensitive enteropathy. The biopsies were normal.

The biopsies of your colon did reveal some mild resolving inflammation consistent with acute self-limited colitis. This condition is secondary to a viral or bacterial colonic infection which is acquired by consuming contaminated food or water. It is extraordinarily common. Thirty percent of patients may develop persistent symptoms that can last as long as twelve weeks.

My advice is for you to continue to use the Pepto-Bismol chewable tablets, two by mouth, three times daily, until your symptoms completely resolve.

In the rare instance that your symptoms persist beyond twelve weeks, it would be absolutely essential that you contact me for further medical advice. In rare instances, repeat colonoscopy with biopsy is necessary to be certain that occult inflammatory bowel disease, Crohn's Disease, had not presented itself in an unusual fashion.

My clinical impression is that you will become completely well over the next several weeks to months and should have no long-term difficulties. I know this is frustrating to you if your symptoms persist, but I can not change that.

A copy of this letter with this information has been forwarded to your primary care physician, Dr. _________, along with your colonoscopy, endoscopy and pathology reports.

Reading this letter again now, it seems perfectly reasonable. I now know that it often takes years for a Crohn's diagnosis. I know that Crohn's is not always detected through a colonoscopy and my misdiagnosis was the norm. However, at the time I was frustrated, sick, broke and unhappy with my experience.

The GI doctor I saw rarely listened to what I had to say. He frequently cut me off in the middle of a sentence and even indicated at some points that I was exaggerating my symptoms. He was incredibly pompous and I should have seen someone else, but I was young, inexperienced and confused.

Also, looking back over this letter, I realize there are some red flags. For instance:

My advice is for you to continue to use the Pepto-Bismol chewable tablets, two by mouth, three times daily, until your symptoms completely resolve.

Pepto-Bismol is useless against my symptoms. It was not helping me to begin with. Had the doctor listened to me when I spoke to him, he would have known that and maybe given me some helpful advice.

In the rare instance that your symptoms persist beyond twelve weeks, it would be absolutely essential that you contact me for further medical advice.

When I received this letter, I was already into my 15th or 16th week of persistent symptoms. If it is rare for my symptoms to persist beyond 12 weeks and it is essential for me to seek further medical advice in that instance, shouldn't he have dug a little deeper? Did he want me to wait another 12 weeks?

In a perfect world I would have gotten a second opinion and possibly found out it was Crohn's four years ago. In this imperfect world, I was out of money which meant I was out of options.

If I'd only known then what I know now...


No comments:

Post a Comment