Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Here's Where It Gets Relevant

So it turned out that I had just talked myself into the parasite because I didn't want to have a colonoscopy (who does?). Not only were the symptoms not actually improving after the Flagyl but they were getting worse. I wasn't thin before I got sick, but at this point I had lost 40 pounds and couldn't afford to lose any more. My hair was falling out and I was having difficulty gathering the energy (physically and emotionally) to get out of bed in the morning.

I was making very little money, I had begun paying back my student loans, I had a new (used) car payment and I had spent what little I had left on my 20% cut of the doctor visits. I decided I would be better off traveling to my hometown for doctor visits. I already had a trusted doctor there and the bills were half as much. To my dismay, my old doctor also thought I needed a colonoscopy and an endoscopy. I reluctantly made an appointment with the Gastro my mother had seen for a routine colonoscopy the year before.

I made sure to research the costs that would be involved with this colonoscopy. The GI I was seeing was in my network so I got the negotiated discount and everything was covered. Fantastic. Finally I would find out what was wrong with me, the doctor would fix it and all would be well.

I took a day off work and made the three hour trip back to my parents house. I survived the prep and went in for my scopes. It went as well as a colonoscopy/endoscopy could go. I woke up, spoke briefly with the doctor and went home to eat.

As I waited (and waited) for my biopsy results, I began receiving bills from the procedure. I had expected to pay something, you know - a couple hundred dollars, so the first bill or two were fine. Then I was hit with the anesthesiologist's bill. Even though he was in the same room as the GI for the procedure, he was not in my network and he didn't come cheap. This was nothing compared to the "facilities charges" they soon sent my way. It cost me $2,000 for USE OF THE ROOM where they performed the procedure! $2,000! That was almost 10% of my yearly income! These charges were literally for occupying space inside of a building during the colonoscopy. They were charging me rent.

I obviously didn't have this kind of money lying around. This is the first time my insurance company and the American health care system let me down. I was just out of school and had no idea what I was doing. I never thought to call the insurance company and harass them until they covered something. All I could do was pay the bill.

I set up my own payment plan and sent $10 each month to the doctor. They were not amused. I soon heard from a collections agent. I could not believe that, in the midst of this health crisis, collections was after me. What does one do in this situation?

I decided to keep paying my $10 each month on the logic that they couldn't do anything as long as I was paying, right? What were they going to do, take the colonoscopy back?

No comments:

Post a Comment