Monday, September 14, 2009

Then It Was IBS

Eventually I did feel better. I still had diarrhea several times each month but nothing like it was before. This went on for almost two years. I was off all of the medicine and was living a mostly normal life. I worked 40 hour weeks and worked on projects outside of work. I occasionally went out drinking with my friends. I didn't get enough sleep but I was fine.

Two years after the original colonoscopy my symptoms worsened. I went back to my primary care physician who thought it was Irritable Bowel Syndrome. He prescribed Effexor which, I was told, is an antidepressant that is sometimes effective against IBS. I was wary of this solution as I've heard about the side effects of antidepressants, but I certainly didn't want to go broke paying for tests which would all come out negative so I went for it.

I did feel better. I don't know if it was the stabilizing effects of the Effexor or a coincidence but my symptoms improved for a while. I was a little more sluggish on the Effexor but the only major side effect was a strain on my bank account. My insurance does not cover "mental health" treatments and Effexor is not FDA approved for the treatment of IBS.

I later found out that my doctor suspected that I was suffering from depression and I can see why. I only saw him a few times each year but every time I went to his office I found myself crying. I was terrified. I didn't want to starve and sleep away another year of my life. I had recovered financially and did not want to have collections agents after me again. Worst of all, I didn't know what was wrong with me. My test results were always normal and I was beginning to think I was crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment