Sunday, September 27, 2009

You lost my what?

I took Effexor for about six months. My symptoms were far from nonexistent but they were more manageable. I had five or six good days each week so my "stomach" wasn't really disrupting my life much.

A little over a year ago the diarrhea started again on a daily basis. I wasted no time and saw my doctor two weeks into it. He wanted to send me back to the old Gastroenterologist, we'll call him Dr. Z. I refused to see Dr. Z so he told me he would make an appointment with the other doctor in Dr. Z's practice. The office called to confirm and I went in for my appointment. When I got there, the person at the desk informed me that I would be seeing Dr. Z. I told them I was there to see the other doctor and they told me no, I was Dr. Z's patient. I should have left then but I had taken the day off work and didn't want to wait any longer to see a doctor.

I went in to see Dr. Z and he was just as I remembered. Arrogant, pompous and unwilling to listen to what I had to tell him. He ordered four stool tests and told me I would have to make an appointment for a colonoscopy. I told him I would do so and left the office.

I dropped the stool samples off at the Dr.'s office that same day and went back to New York. My plan was to wait for the test results and then, well I didn't really have a plan.

A couple of days later, I called in for the test results and, of course, there weren't any. So I waited a few more days and called back again. The woman at the doctor's office told me the test results were normal. I asked about the other three and she told me there were results from two tests and both were normal. When I told her there were two more she said she would call the lab. She called me back a few hours later and apologized profusely - the lab had LOST MY SAMPLES! My social security number was on each of the samples. How could they lose them? Is this some sort of sick joke? Really? They lost my stool samples?

No comments:

Post a Comment