Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Gluten Free Is For Me

A couple of year ago, when I first got sick the second time around, the doctor decided to test me for Celiac Disease. One portion of the test required that I stop eating gluten for a few weeks. It was painful but gluten and I took a break. In the end I failed the Celiac test but I did feel a bit better at the end of those gluten free weeks.

I went back to eating gluten (it's so hard not to!) and realized what a difference it made. Without gluten my migraines were fewer and farther between. I also found the temporary mental paralysis I usually felt after a meal was missing when I was off the gluten. I decided, after a short fling, it was time to break up with gluten for good.

Giving up gluten is not easy. It's especially difficult with Crohn's as some of us must also give up dairy, fried foods, raw fruits and vegetables, etc. For me though, it's a no-brainer. Giving up gluten is a small price to pay for weekends free of migraines and more productive afternoons at work.

I'm certainly not as vigilant as someone with Celiac Disease must be but I do realize how crucial it is for someone with Celiac to completely eliminate ingestion of wheat. I always order from the gluten free menu if there is one available but I will order gluten free dishes off of a regular menu if there is no other option.

Speaking of gluten free menus, there is an increasing number of restaurants that take their gluten free menus very seriously. Many restaurants flag gluten free plates to make sure there is no accidental contamination. Some send gluten free orders to the table with a manager. There are a lot of gluten free dishes out there that are less than delicious but it's comforting that so many are making such a valiant attempt.

A gluten free diet is commonly believed to improve the quality of life of those diagnosed with Autism. Wikipedia lists Parkinson’s disease, Multiple sclerosis, Seizures, Cognitive problems, Type 2 and Type 1 diabetes, Down syndrome, Rheumatoid arthritis among those conditions which may improve with a gluten free diet. Some believe Crohn's related intestinal damage limits one's ability to digest gluten similar to Crohn's related lactose intolerance. I personally saw no improvement in digestion when I stopped eating gluten. I did, however, experience fewer migraines and less brain fog and that's enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment