Sunday, October 11, 2009

Dr. Crohn's

Occasionally, things just work out perfectly in my life. A little over a year ago, the day after my stool samples went missing, I found a fantastic Gastroenterologist. We will call him Dr. Crohn's. I was referred by a patient of Dr. C's who knew a little bit about my struggle.

My first visit to Dr. C's office blew my mind. I had faxed my medical records to Dr. C before my appointment and he READ THEM BEFORE I GOT THERE! I told my story in his office and he listened to every word. He didn't interrupt me or snicker. He didn't give me the creeps or suggest that I have the same old tests done. He listened. He listened until I finished then asked me a few questions. Then Dr. C did something that really affected me. He sat at his desk and wrote out a list of a few things that may have been going on with me. He proceeded to go through the list and explain why each of the items on the list were likely or unlikely and then told me that he thought it was Crohn's and he would like to do a colonoscopy to investigate further.

I'm not sure why I was so affected by that list. It may have been because all of the doctor's I had seen were so secretive or because they were always in such a hurry but that list really got to me. I left the office feeling validated, hopeful and confident in my new doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment