Monday, October 12, 2009

Diagnosis

I returned to Dr. C's office a week later for a colonoscopy. The biopsies taken during the colonoscopy confirmed inflammation in the ileum consistent with Crohn's Disease.

I definitely experienced diagnosis euphoria. I was ecstatic. After years of uncertainty I finally, finally knew what was wrong with me. I have Crohn's Disease! There are treatments available! I'm going to get better! I'm going to get my life back!

Some doctors start off with steroids or biologics and, once the patient is in remission, they lessen the intensity of the treatment. My doctor follows a "bottom up" approach to treatment. He begins with the pills which are least likely to cause side effects and uses biologics as a last resort.

Before my diagnosis I had taken Flagyl, Welchol and Effexor. The new plan was to try several medications, one at a time. If they failed, we would begin combining those medications until we ran out of options. If I got that far and I wasn't doing better I would try biologics.

A diagnosis and a plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment