Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Day 40

I probably spend a half dozen weekends in Toronto each year. Last weekend was my first visit this year. We usually have some family (and lately other) obligations. This weekend we had some extra time to spend downtown.

One way in which Toronto has New York beat is in gluten free dining options. It's been a few years since I gave up gluten and it definitely limits my restaurant options in New York. Toronto has several dedicated gluten free places and tons of restaurants and bakeries that serve gluten free options, a few of which we checked out last weekend.

After years of hearing and reading about it, I finally made it to Kensington Market. It was a little grungier than I was expecting but a good time. I think I would like to go back when the weather is warmer and really spend some time there. We had lunch at Kensington Cornerstone, a lovely little place with an entirely gluten free menu. There were chicken fingers! And sandwiches! And FISH AND CHIPS! The fish and chips really blew me away. It was so light and delicious. Go! Eat!

We also stopped at Haymishe bakery before heading out of town. The bakery is on Bathurst a couple of blocks south of Lawrence (I have no idea what I'm talking about, you might want to check that). They had a HUGE selection of gluten free foods. There were several different types of bread (I bought one after the proprietor insisted I squeeze a loaf), cookies, an amazing blueberry tart, rugelach, knish, rolls, schnitzel (!), more cookies, flatbread... I'm sure I'm missing some things. So I left with far more than I intended but everything was delicious, literally everything. Especially the dulce de leche cookies and the blueberry tart. And the flatbread. Oh, and the garlic/dill cream cheese. The bread was perfectly squeezy but I didn't get to it for a few days. I'll definitely get another loaf one day and eat or freeze it immediately.

I am so carbed out right now. Thanks for the memories (and the extra five pounds), Toronto!

No comments:

Post a Comment